Looking to tone up those flabby arms, thighs, and butt? Try the following toning exercises to tighten up those flabby areas in time for the summer.
Despite the popular belief, you can’t “tone up” flabby areas of your body simply by working them out. Toning up muscles requires both:
- Using weight training to add size and definition to specific muscle groups
- Dieting to reduce overall fat, allowing muscles to show through
If you don’t combine these workouts with a healthy diet plan, you’re not going to be able to tone up your trouble spots no matter how hard you workout. But if you’re eating healthy, doing the following toning workouts for women will really help you tighten up and add definition to traditional trouble spots.
Toning Workouts For Women
Exercises For Flabby Arms
When it comes to flabby Jell-O arms, the biggest problem women face are in the triceps – the muscle in the back of your arm between the elbow and the shoulder. By exercising the tricep area regularly, you can keep them looking their best.
Activities like tennis, kickboxing, and yoga are all great toning exercises for flabby arms. If you’re looking for more specific workouts, you can try some of the following:
In order to perform a tricep kickback, you’ll need a dumbbell, and preferably a free weight bench. To execute a tricep kickback:
- Grasp dumbbell in one hand
- Kneel over the bench with your free arm supporting your body. If you don’t have a bench, you can simply put one knee on the floor.
- Lift your dumbbell-carrying arm so that the upper arm is parallel to the floor
- Extend your arm so that it’s straight, lifting the dumbbell up towards the ceiling
- Bring your arm back to a 90 degree angle with the upper arm still parallel to the floor
Start with 2 sets of 12-15 repetitions for each arm, and add a 3rd set when you feel comfortable. Aim to do these 2-3 times a week.
In order to perform a tricep dip, all you need is a chair. In order to execute a tricep dip:
- Hover over the chair and place your arms on the seat or the armrests
- Scoot your feet away from the chair so that they’re approximately 45 degrees to the floor. Note: The further away your legs are, the harder the exercise will be. You can also add your feet to another chair to add difficulty.
- Slowly lower yourself down, bending your arms to 90 degrees, and bring yourself back up.
Start with 10-12 repetitions, and try to work up to 15-20. Add more sets as you feel comfortable. Aim to do these 2-3 times a week.
Tricep Grip Press
In order to perform a tricep grip press, you’ll need 2 dumbbells and optionally a bench.
- Grasp both dumbbells
- Lie down on the floor (or bench)
- Hold the dumbbells close together over your chest. Your elbows your be close to your side
- Push the dumbbells straight up until your elbows almost lock, and lower them back down. Note: Using a bench will allow you to get a greater range of motion.
Start with 2 sets of 12-15 repetitions and add a 3rd set when you feel comfortable. Aim to do these 2-3 times a week.
Butt & Thigh Toning Exercises
If you want leaner, longer thighs and tighter buttocks, doing upper leg exercises will get you there. You can get a great butt & thigh toning workout with just your bodyweight, but a medicine ball and some dumbbells will definitely add some spice to your workout.
Squat with ball
The squat is the foundation of all leg workouts. Body builders use them to get big by carrying giant weights on their back when they perform them. You can use them to tone up your flabby thighs with just your body weight.
To do squats with a ball, you’ll need to:
- Stand near a wall with your feet shoulder-width apart. Place an exercise ball between the wall and the curve of your back. Note: If you don’t have an exercise ball, you can simply do the following steps without them.
- Take one step out
- Bend your knees so that your butt goes towards the floor. Hold yourself when it feels like you’re sitting in an imaginary chair (legs bent 90 degrees).
- Hold the position for 1-3 seconds.
- Stand back up, keeping your knees bent at the top
Start with 2 sets of 5 repetitions and build up to 12-15. Add a 3rd set when you feel comfortable. Aim to do these 2-3 times a week.
The lunge is another classic exercise for toning the butt and thighs. This exercise can be done with or without weight. If you’re doing lunges for the first time, it’s recommended that you don’t do them with dumbbells, but you can certainly add dumbbells when you’re ready.
To do lunges, you’ll need to:
- Stand with your feet approximately hip width apart. If you’re doing the exercise with weights, you’ll want to grasp dumbbells in each hand.
- Take a step forward with your right leg, lowering it so that your thigh is parallel to the floor. Your right leg should form a 90 degree angle, while your left leg should still be in place, with the knee hovering over the ground without touching.
- Your torso should be perpendicular to the floor, and your back should be straight.
- Step back into place, and repeat with the left leg
Start with 2 sets of 10-15 repetitions and add a 3rd set when you feel comfortable. You can also add dumbbells to the exercise to increase the resistance. Aim to do these 2-3 times a week.
The Single Leg Circle
Single leg circles are a pilates exercise designed to work your thighs. As a bonus, it also gives your abs and core a nice workout. To perform single leg circles:
- Lie flat on your back, hands by your side.
- Extend your right leg to the ceiling and point your toe.
- Bend your left knee for an easier version of the exercise, or keep it flat on the mat for a challenge.
- Trace a circle with your extended leg by bringing it inwards and swinging the whole leg outwards, and back to its original position
- Make the circle as large as possible, keeping your hips planted on the mat.
- Repeat 5 times in one direction, then switch directions and repeat another 5 times.
- Switch legs
Start with 2 sets of 10-15 repetitions in each leg, and work your way to 15-25 repetitions. Add a 3rd set when you feel comfortable. Aim to do these 2-3 times a week.
Other People Are Reading:
- Toning Exercises For Women 1,301 views
- The Easiest Diet Plan – The Simplest Way To Start Losing Weight 1,213 views
- 5 Savory Herbs & Spices You Can Cook With Instead Of Salt 589 views
- Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystem 248 views
- Yoplait Diet Review 195 views